9 okt 2017

The story of the Israelites

There was an old fisherman who got converted in his old age. He was not able to read. A friend of mine visited him, and knowing how he loved the Word of God, said to him: "Now, John, shall I read you a chapter?" The old fisherman was very thankful. "Yes, if you please, I should so much like to hear a chapter. I do dearly love to hear the Word read."

ABOUT THE LIZARD LIGHTS

My friend sat down in a chair an opened the Bible. "What part shall I read to you?"
The fisherman said: "About the Lizard Lights, please. Do read about them, for when I see them I always think I am near my heavenly home. I have often been out on the Atlantic on dark stormy nights, and when I caught sight of the Lizard Lights. I knew I was near Falmouth harbour, and would soon be safely moored."


WAITING ON MARY
"I am afraid," ventured my friend, "that I do not know about the Lizard Lights!" "Not know about them!" The fisherman shook his had. "Well, I thought you a gentleman, and had Scripture knowledge, but if you don't know about the Lizard Lights, you must just wait until Mary comes in." In a short; time Mary, who was his daughter, came in, and the old man said, "Mary, where is that in the Book about the Lizard Lights? You know you were reading about them last Sunday night."
She smiled. "Oh, father," she said, "that was not the Lizard Lights. It was the Israelites." 

THE STORY OF THE ISRAELITES

That old man had made a mistake in the apprehension but not in the application. The story of the Israelites told of the guidance of God, in their wanderings, and the Lizard Lights had frequently been the beacon that had guided the fisherman to his desired haven.

Source: Mark G. Pearse

7 opmerkingen:

  1. Very cute story! Have a blessed week, friend!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. 1 John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

    Ephesians 5:5 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.

    That same Beacon that guided the Israelites is there for us today...Praise the Lord!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. I like this story! I will share it with my son.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Smiling to read your story!! I never noticed how the word `light` is in
    `Isreal-lights". That`s wonderful! This is so beautiful, to read your post in this season of Sukkot, entering a new year in the Hebrew Calendar, and I love the message of Israel`s Light!!! Blessings and Shalom!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Another thought ...the Israelites WERE suppose to be a light to the world! They failed in many ways down through the years. But they were a people through which Jesus The Light of the World would one day come. That Light cannot be extinguished.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen